TAMPEP – European Network for HIV/STI Prevention and Health Promotion among Migrant Sex Workers
TAMPEP is an international networking and intervention project operating in 25 countries in Europe, including 10 countries in Central and Eastern Europe.
It was founded in 1993 in response to the needs of migrant sex workers across Europe. It operates within a community development and participation model, which is rooted within the equality and human rights framework, lays the foundation for equitable access to support and services for migrant sex workers and seeks to give voice to migrant sex workers.
Our focus is on assessing the situation and needs of female and transgender sex workers of Central and Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa and Latin America, and on developing appropriate responses. The project reaches persons from more than 60 different nationalities.
The project's aims are to:
- promote a holistic strategy underpinned by the principles of respect and inclusion of sex workers;
- advocate for the human and civil rights of female and transgender migrant sex workers;
- facilitate the sharing of knowledge, experience and good practice across Europe, ensuring the needs and issues of sex workers from countries of origin, transition and destination;
- further develop and implement effective and innovative health promotion and HIV/STI prevention strategies and intervention models amongst migrant sex workers in Europe;
- consolidate and further develop the TAMPEP network to coordinate efforts across Europe in ensuring appropriate responses to the legal, health and social care needs of migrant sex workers;
- further develop and disseminate TAMPEP resources, including multilingual health promotion materials and guidelines for outreach work, peer education and cultural mediation;
- gather quantitative and qualitative data concerning sex work in Europe, monitor and report on the changing patterns of migration, and the living and working conditions of female and transgender sex workers within Europe; and
- organise lobbying and advocacy activities at national, regional and international levels.
The Coordination Centre of TAMPEP is located in Amsterdam, the Netherlands at the TAMPEP International Foundation:Contact: Obiplein 4
1094 RB Amsterdam
tel.: + 31 20 692 69 12
fax: + 31 20 608 00 83